This picture of Cliffe House is taken from the elevated position of the Church yard and cuts off the ground floor! It is a formidable building that has just been renovated. It was built around 1820 by James Temple and was a school dwelling house for around 120 boys. Their class rooms and playground were in what was until recently The Cliffe Inn. In 1827 it was described as one of the best run commercial schools in Kent in Tones Table Book. One of the scholars was the Victorian artist W.P. Frith R.A. who stated in his memoirs that a number of French lads came to the School to learn English. Dr Temple was an important man in the village and was head of the secular arm of the Parish Council. He owned a great deal of land and erected Morley House (now part of Portal House) as a girl's residential school. The School closed in 1874 after Dr Temple's death and was sold to a Mr Cripps who converted it to a hotel. The hotel closed around 1968 and since then it has been a lodging house and the converted to private flats.