Monday 10 March 2008

The Great Storm

I saw the coast guard at Dover on the television and he said that the storm today was the worst for 20 years. It certainly woke me up at 5 am and it was strong enough to rip two wooden arches out of the ground in the garden and leave them flat on the floor. The winds peaked this morning at about 10am and gusts at Langdon Bay reached 76mph. Most of my feeders were blown down and throughout the day I didn't see a single passerine feeding in the garden.

High tide was at 12.39 pm and it was the highest tide of the year, although I must say it wasn't as high as I thought it would be, I guess there needs to be and easterly element in the wind to push it really high. The high winds definitely helped the spectacular view of the sea powering in.

The port of Dover was closed most of the morning, and this ferry was sitting off shore all the while I was in the bay. I think that lunch may have been a bit uncomfortable.

It wasn't easy to get right up to the rail, as the waves were breaking right up the beach and the spray was engulfing the foot path. I wouldn't worry me, but it don't think it's very good for cameras.
I had hoped that the gulls might have had something interesting but I only found Black-headed and Herring Gulls come down to rest in the car park.

A little later I to a look at Dover Harbour from the White Cliffs car park. Although the port had opened for a short while just after lunch it closed again later in the afternoon. All was quiet below me although Landon Bay again recorded gusts of 75 mph around 3 pm and 5 pm. The evening has now quietened down although the forecast for tomorrow night isn't great, with winds forecast to gust at over 50 mph.

No comments: