Wednesday 21 May 2008

No mans land

This male Blackbird is fairly distinctive because it a has a white chin patch. I think that many male Blackbirds have odd feathers that aren't black making them identifiable.

I woke up early this morning, about 4.30am. The dawn chorus was already in full swing and was dominated by Blackbirds. As happened last year the garden seem to be at the junction of three territories. This afternoon I watch three pairs collecting food, all on the lawn in the main garden. Occasionally two of the males would have a chase, but in general they seemed to treat the area as neutral ground. I know some birds have separate territories which they defend for breeding and other areas that are communal feeding areas but I thought that Blackbirds defended a total territory. Perhaps they are tolerant of each other because it is borderline for all three territories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm not sure whether your an expert on moths but I just found one and I'm having trouble IDing it. I have a photo. I would appreciate it if you could help me ID it.
The photo can be found here.
www.josh-birdbrain.blogspot.com
cheers
Josh Jenkins Shaw

Tony Morris said...

see your blog Josh.