Thursday 3 July 2008

An Uncertain future

A throat infection laid me low today, snuggled up with Lem-sip (and the Williams Sisters on the TV). But I did get through my moth traps before wimping out.

I've only caught one of these before, on 22nd July 2006, so it was a bit of a surprise when I found this Black Arches, Lymantria monacha, in my Actinic Trap. It has very "furry" legs and feathery antennae and is in the Tussock moth family. It is normally associated with Oak trees, but has been known to use a wide range of others as its food plant. There aren't many Oaks near the garden so I guess that accounts as to why it's only the second one I've trapped.

It's that time of year again. The two closely related moths the Uncertain and the Rustic are coming into their flight periods. The Uncertain arrives first, soon to be followed by the Rustic. This species pair are very similar, especially when worn, hence the name of the first mentioned. At this time of year I get out Atropos Volume one and turn to issue 4 page 14 and re-read Sean Clany's ID workshop on this pair, and perhaps end up slightly less uncertain than before.

No comments: