Tuesday 23 September 2008

The Axe man

Today was very wet and very dull, looking at what the seawatchers saw from Reculver and Shellness I should have gone to the bay and had a look at the sea, but instead tried to get my moth records into MapMate, as I've let it slip for the last few days.

I also had a look at the photos I'd taken yesterday of this piece of flint. Phil found it as we were checking the Fields on Saturday and he quickly recognised it as a flint tool, probably used as an Axe.
I'm no expert but the shape has definitely been modified and looking at pictures on the WEB it does look rather like an axe from the Palaeolithic or Mesolithic period. We hope to get expert opinion later, but it could be up 700,000 years old, when the first people settled in Britain.

It's not only moths that turn up in the moth trap. This Shield Bug put in an appearance yesterday. I think it is a Hawthorn Shield Bug (Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale). The larvae will feed on Oak, Birch, Hazel and Poplar as well as Hawthorn.

One on the moths in the trap yesterday was this Brown-spot Pinion (Agrochola litura). Although national this is a common moth it is the first I've caught here.

The Black Rustic (Aporophyla nigra) is one of the more attractive of the regular Autumn moths, normally arriving in the middle of September, although for some reason I didn't catch any last year so its' good to see it back this week.

No comments: