Friday 3 October 2008

Wild West comes to the Village

The St Margaret's Players next production is ANNIE GET YOUR GUN and it will be on next week, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. This is a great show and although it seems impossible ('cos I look far too young) I actually saw the original show in London, which starred Delores Gray and Bill Johnson. I can't really remember it, I rather think my parents couldn't get baby sitters so I had my first taste of theatre. It opened in London on the 7th June 1947 at the Coliseum and ran for 1304 performances, although, which one of these I went to, I don't know. Since then I've seen it done by the Dartford Operatic Society, in about 1977, when Pat Thornhill played Annie and Pam was wardrobe mistress and even appeared on stage as a chicken!


It's a really entertaining show with great lyrics and music by Irving Berlin, it has some of the most memorable show songs of all time, "There's No Business Like Show Business", "My Defences Are Down" and "I Got the Sun in the Morning" for starters.

The show is based on the real life story of Annie Oakley, who was in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show where she became the first American superstar. If you live locally, buy your ticket and come along, the Players always entertain and I'm sure if they're "Doin' What comes Naturally" it will be a great evening.

I hope to post some pictures of the performance some time next week.

No comments: