Thursday 29 January 2009

Who ate all the pies!

For various reasons my view of the world today was focused on the garden, and mainly from my study window. I did put some stale bread and a few other bits of left overs out in the garden.

As usual a pair of Carrion Crows were quickly on the scene, but very soon a Herring Gull dropped in and assumed the dominant position. As you can see from the shape of its neck it gobbled down most of the food on offer before leaving within a couple on minutes.

This Crow managed to collect up most of the bread that the Gull left behind, and I thought that it might bring it over to the bird bath to soften it up. Instead it flew off, so I don't know if it dunked or not!

Although Green Woodpeckers seem to have got increasingly common in the village I still don't see them feeding on the lawn all that often. This one spent some time pecking around today, and proved that the sooner it gets dry enough for me to cut the grass the better, it's so long the bird almost disappeared when it bent down.

At the same time there was a Great-spotted Woodpecker in the right in front of my window.

I thought that it had come back to feed on the peanuts until I realised that the first one was a female and the second a male, spot the difference.

No comments: