Tuesday 7 April 2009

I could learn from my Grandson!

I talked to my eight year old grandson, Jack, this morning. He was pleased that he identified the micro moth that they had trapped in Clitheroe. I also had a few moths last night, mainly the same as for the last few nights but I also had a micro, but I failed to identify it.

Diurnea fagella

Nigel Jarman popped in this evening and immediately recognised it as Diurnea fagella, the same species as Jack had caught in Lancashire. It's the third one I've caught, the other two were in April 2006, so I aught to recognise it from now on. Its Caterpillar feeds on various deciduous trees, and it is one of the earliest micros around each year.

Early Thorn, Selenia dentaria

One of my favourite moths of the moment is the Early Thorn. You could almost mistake it for a butterfly, were it not for the feathered antennae. It has a brood in Spring (late February to April) and then again in August and September.

The Engrailed (Ectropis bistortata)

The Engrailed is a fairly common Geometer and it also is around both early and late in the year, it can have up to three broods. I have only caught two before in April, it being much more common here in August and September. The previous April records were in 2006, the best year I've ever had for moths, so perhaps it a good omen for both mothing and the summer.

No comments: