Sunday 3 May 2009

Seal with a Roman Nose

The cliffs near the monument are pretty high, somewhere in the region of 300 feet, so taking pictures of things on the sea just below has two draw backs. First is a long way off and second, I hate heights so much that holding the camera steady is a problem.

When I took a look over to day I could see some thing in the water with a couple of Herring Gulls in attendance, when I looks through binoculars it was obviously a seal with a large fish. By the time it resurfaced for it's picture the fish had gone.

I was pretty sure at first glance that it was a Grey Seal, Halichoerus grypus. The best way to distinguish Grey Seals from Common Seals is by the profile. The straight line from the top of the head to the nose in the Grey compared to a more dog like shape in the Common seal.

The new house on Granville Road that arrived in sections in August now looks pretty much complete. It certainly has a prominent position and must have great views over the channel.

In January I showed some of the areas in the South Foreland Valley, where the scrub had been cleared to allow the chalk grasland habitat to be developed. At the time I said that it would need considerable management to prevent it quickly reverting to scrub. It looks to me that it is in need of some urgent attention, it is isn't to quickly become an area of thistles and other invasive species.

There are six ducklings on the village pond. This one seemed to have ideas beyond his age, as he flapped his tiny wings. I hope that Mrs Duck manages to bring some or even all of them through to fledging this year, and that she doesn't bring them up to my garden and loose some of them, for me to round up and return to her, as she did last year.

No comments: