Saturday 27 June 2009

Breakfast Pickings

After a few poor days mothing picked up last night. The only problem is that my traps are being raided by a Great Tit in the mornings. I fooled it this morning but getting up before dawn and covering and moving my traps to a safer place.

Green Pug (Pasiphila rectangulata)

Green Pugs never look all that green to me, but if you can get them to settle in a pot with a clear base the underside pattern is very distinctive.

Marbled White Spot (Protodeltote pygarga)

I've caught 10 Marbled White Spots before and the average date is June 29th, so this one was about one time. It is a species of acid heaths and damp woodland so I'm not sure why I catch it in the garden.

Toadflax Brocade (Calophasia lunula)

A resident species, the Toadflax Brocade is restricted to the south-east and central southern coasts of England, where it frequents mainly shingle beaches. A relatively recent colonist, arriving around 1950 and quickly gaining a foothold, but appears to be now in decline again.

Wood Carpet (Epirrhoe rivata)

Despite its name the preferred habitat of this moth is chalky downland and sea-cliffs, so it is common in the area.

No comments: