Sunday 20 September 2009

National Moth Night (well two nights really)

For the first time National Moth Night took place over two nights, Friday 18th and Saturday 19th. In 2006 it was on September 23rd. On that night I caught 131 Macro Moths of 29 species in the garden, in two traps. Over the two nights I had the same number of species but caught 204 moths (113 of these were Large Yellow Underwings compared to four in 2006) Only 14 species were caught at the Hidden House in both years. I also ran a trap this year at St Margaret's Farm, Naptchester Lane, Whitfield. Over the two nights I caught 93 moths (41 Large Yellow Underwings) of 18 species.
As well as the normal moth nights, this year some trappers had also marked moths before the event, in an attempt to get re-traps and trace any movements. I marked quite a few moths and released them about 180 metres away by the village pond. I got three re-traps, but no others but the ones I'd marked myself.

The Sallow (Xanthia icteritia)

One of the moths that I caught this year but not in 2006 was this attractive Sallow that I caught at St Margaret's Farm, Naptchester Lane, Whitfield. While I'm on the subject, many thanks to Jan and Colin Cross for letting me run a trap and use their electricity. (Jan makes some great honey and it's not expensive.)

The Brick (Agrochola circellaris)

At the Hidden House I caught several Bricks that were absent in 2006. This year there was a lack of migrant macros apart from 2 Dark Sword Grass at the farm and a Silver Y here. In addition I caught four Rush Veneers (a micro) at the farm. Full lists of moths caught here.
In 2006 I caught some several migrants, including two Delicates, four Scarce bordered Straws and a Passenger (about the 20th for the UK).

From National Moth Night 23 September 2006

Delicate (Mythimna vitellina)

Scarce Bordered Straw (Helicoverpa armigera)

Passenger (Dysgonia algira)

No comments: