Wednesday 6 January 2010

St Margaret's Badgers in Eastern Europe?

I received this ring-bound publication, which includes a CD, from the Belgrade office of the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature). At first I couldn't think why, and then I remembered that I'd had a request, some nine months ago, for the use one of my Badger pictures.

The "field guide" is for use by the stake holders of nature conservation in the Balkans, including the border police and local communities. I don't suppose any of them will realise that the badger picture comes from the garden of England. The document is available here.

This picture of two of the youngsters that we nicknamed "the hooligans" appears on page 31.

There was plenty of Great-spotted Woodpecker activity in the garden today, but just one new garden bird for the year, a Jackdaw, made a belated appearance. During the day we had no snow although we knew it was on it's way.

And it arrived this evening. I took this form the back of the house, looking towards the pond, at 11.40 p.m. and it was cold with the door open. No sign of the Badger tonight, but it did find paw prints in the sprinkling we got last night.

There about two inches of snow, and it feels like very good snow ball type snow. I'll have to get Pam out for a snowball fight in the morning ( no chance!).

No comments: