Thursday 11 February 2010

Window Birding

I have just set my a small DVR to record from one of the two nest-boxes with internal camera and to my surprise it got a quick visit from a Blue Tit.

It certainly wasn't a particularly good picture, I know I bought at the bottom of the range, but the pictures on the TV didn't look too bad. Perhaps it will be better if I set it to video, or when the bird settles down and isn't' moving all the time?

As it was pretty snowy today, I decided to set up a fruit table, primarily for the Blackbirds, but available, if they dare face the wrath of the Merle, to other fruit eaters.
I really like pictures of birds in snow, there's something ethereal about them. This Chaffinch is looking somewhat quizzical, waiting under the feeders for scraps to fall.

The call of "Chiswick, Chiswick" heralded the visit of this Pied Wagtail. It worked it's way round the little fountain, but I couldn't actual see what it was finding to feed on.

As the aggressive male Blackbirds contested the top of the table, this rather cunning (a cross species characteristic) female was happy to pick up the bits of apple that got thrown over the edge by the boys above.

At one point this Robin approached the table, it didn't stay there long, perhaps is was put off by the package left behind by a Blackbird.

I was pleased to see this Song Thrush come close to the window and get it's share of apple and banana. When I took a walk (got wet feet) to the end of the garden I was surprised to flush at least three thrushes out of the little Crab Apple tree. This tree was briefly visited by a Waxwing a few years ago so I check regularly in the hope that this might be repeated. With the appearance of the bird below I'm not sure that all the thrushes I saw at the bottom of the garden were Song Thrushes.

Late in the day I looked out of the window and saw this beautiful Redwing by the fountain. They really are beautiful little thrushes and only visited the garden when the weather is extremely bad. I hope that it returns tomorrow when the light is better, it deserves a better portrait. It is a first winter bird, you can tell by he pale tips on the coverts that form a faint wing bar.

No comments: