Friday 11 November 2011

The end of the Gold fever

The Goldfinch party seems to be over for this year. On Wednesday evening there were over 150 around the garden, and the noise was extraordinary when they got together in the tree tops when flushed from the ground. The feeders, filled in the morning were all more or less empty and new supplies had arrived. On Thursday I was sorting out my moth traps when the deafening silence suddenly alerted me to the fact that the Goldfinches had moved on. Not one single bird was seen feeding by either Pam or myself yesterday or today, although I did hear a couple flying over.

The garden seemed strangely deserted, although a couple of Chaffinches and Greenfinches did pop in. Later this afternoon I watched a Robin, a Dunnock and a Wren spend quite a long time just out side the window, almost as if they were taking their time, now that the noisy gang had gone. The only other bird I saw on the feeders was a Great Spotted Woodpecker. I'm hoping that we will get visits from some of the other winter visitors and migrants that have been passing through. Today I heard a couple of Redpolls as they flew over and the time is about right for some Siskins and Bramblings to pay their respects.

I've had the history of Whooper Swan BER back from the WWT. It was only ringed this year on Feb 10th. as an adult Male, so there's no way of knowing it's age. It was recorded on it's way through Scotland in the Spring and was back at Martin Mere on Oct 19th. I'm not too sure about the exact meaning of the Departure heading, the last one is my record and the one above I presume will be extended by the staff at the reserve until the date it is last seen this winter.

EVENT DATE DEPARTURE SITE NAME AREA
10/02/2011 10/02/2011 WWT Martin Mere Lancashire
13/02/2011 05/03/2011 WWT Martin Mere Lancashire
08/03/2011 11/03/2011 Caerlaverock Dumfries
12/03/2011 12/03/2011 Thwaite Farm, nr Ruthwell, Dumfries
19/10/2011 02/11/2011 WWT Martin Mere Lancashire
31/10/2011 31/10/2011 WWT Martin Mere Lancashire

No comments: