Tuesday 3 January 2012

Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky, Stormy Weather

The title of my post yesterday turned out to be prophetic and the port of Dover was closed for the morning due to force 11 winds.

It is hard to believe that I took this picture barely two hours after one of the heaviest downpours I've seen in the UK. This monsoon seemed to signal the sudden drop in the wind, that had been around 38-40 mph for several hours with gusts up to 68 mph late morning. Already the sea had calmed and it looked like a gentle surf rolling into the bay.

The view past "White Cliffs" is one of my favourites and were I still fit enough I would make the walk at low tide to Kingsdown along the bottom. I imagine at the height of the storm the waves would have been crashing into the base of cliffs adding to the slow erosion that the annual falls testify to.

Along at the White Cliffs NT car park it was evident that the wind had relented enough for the port to be back in action, and the ferries were on the move.

As I was now on the move I popped along to Samphire Hoe to see how the start of the year was treating then there. I met Phil Smith and we did the happy new year thing as the sun slowly dropped just to the lest of the Dungeness peninsular.

From the west, the nest bank of clouds were already building up, and before I got hove we had another heavy shower. Just to the left of the grass bank you can see Dungeness Power Station on the horizon, although it isn't responsible for the red glow in the sky!

Some of the waves breaking were still quite large, but despite warnings this didn't prevent one couple walking their dog along the path. Sadly or luckily, depending on your point of view, they seemed to have managed to miss the waves as they broke, thus denying me a dramatic photograph!

No comments: