Saturday 20 October 2012

A needle on the Bedroom Floor

Yesterday Pam dropped a needle on the bedroom floor and of course couldn't find it. I normally find things like this, but unfortunately it's usually when I put my foot on it and get it embedded in my flesh. So a careful search and I finally found it without the pain.

Today's problem was much the same, but without the sanction that failure meant a needle stuck in the foot. As I walked across one of the fields of stubble a familiar tit-loo-it call alerted me to the presence of a Woodlark (I'm so used to writing it like this that I forget what the now correct spelling, is it Wood Lark or Woodlark ). In fact two flew up and landed about 30 yards in front of me. I saw where they landed and slowly edged closer. The view of the stubble was not easy, it was like trying to find a needle on the bedroom floor but without the hazard.

I finally located the back end of a bird. It certainly looked like a lark and a Woodlark seemed to be the most likely.
When it raised its head the superciliums (or should it be supercilia?)  meeting at the back of the head, rather like a miniature Dotterel confirmed that I had the right bird.

The other bird had move into a area where the vegetation was sprouting. The field had some sort of beans in the summer. They were rather like broad beans, but I think they were used for animal fodder. I could see the back of the bird moving and, again, as the head came up, the long supercilium of a Woodlark was on show.

The light was now awful, it hadn't been good all day and it was now 16.15 pm. so I was quite pleased to get one reasonable shot of one of the two birds. This field seems to have quite a lot of potential, there were a good few Skylarks and Linnets feeding in it and with Lapland Buntings recorded in the area today I'll be checking it out again tomorrow (if forecast the rain relents).

No comments: