Thursday 17 January 2013

Is there more to come?

I shouldn't have been surprised that there was snow this morning, but the fact that a couple of inches of really perfect snow had settled wasn't what I was expecting. Judging from the forecast Friday could be the day we get a heavier fall. .

Even before it was properly light there were around ten Blackbirds feeding and squabbling on the ground under the feeders outside my study.
Some of the feeders still had some seed in them, while others really did need filling. By the time I'd finished by second cup of rosy, a definite necessity before venturing out in to the cold, the number of birds had build up. At least 45 Chaffinches, 20 Greenfinches, five Goldfinches, three Long-tailed Tits and 10 Starlings were vying for position where there was food.


  Two Great Spotted Woodpeckers, a male and a female had prime position on the peanuts and the Starlings quickly reduced the remaining fat-balls to nothing.

When did Blackbirds start to go on feeders? I seen them hovering in front a few times, but today was the first time I've seen one actually spend time on a seed feeder, and like London Buses there was a second one, this time a male, soon after. The list of birds that can use feeders is growing all the time, even Dunnocks are regulars now, although I don't think I've seen a Wren on a feeder yet. The biggest surprise today happened as I settled down to television quiz time, just as it was getting dark. I was aware of large wings appearing in my peripheral vision, just out of the lounge windows, When I turned to look properly a Grey Heron was standing on the grass just a few yards away. He didn't stay long, but it was an unexpected visit.

No comments: