Monday 4 March 2013

Noisy Neighbours

I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the sunshine with a bracing walk along the cliff top today. The path was busy for this time of year and the sky remained cloudless.


As I reached the path, towards Langdon Hole I had two encounters. The first was with a Raven that passed me, heading north, and didn't bother to stop to say hello, and the second was with Steve Ray, who did.Steve had seen the Raven as it disappeared passed me and had also watch a Peregrine vacate the area in the opposite direction. Undaunted I continued on my way, hopeful of both returning.At Langdon Hole I saw the head of a Peregrine as it say near the top of the cliff a couple of hundred yards away, With some careful manoeuvring I did manage to get closer and with the bright sun no longer in my eyes, but I couldn't get close enough for a photograph. Later I saw this or another flying through at a significantly fast rate of knots.


When I reached my favourite view point, when the cliffs turn enough to give a long view of their face, I decided to sit and wait, in the hope that either of the missing stars would return. I contented myself watching the Fulmars staking out their territories on the cliff. A few sat on likely ledges while others flew up to see them. These two, possible future neighbours seemed to be exchanging less than polite greetings.


The visiting birds tended to swoop up towards the sitting birds and hover just in front. before flying round for another circuit. It is impossible to keep track of each visitor, so I wasn't able to tell if it was the same bird visiting the same ledge each time, or whether they were touring round. Neither do I know if they are paired and if so which is sitting on the cliff?

Although Fulmars are now a common sight in Kent I will never tire of watching their mastery of the air.

No comments: