Saturday 7 December 2013

Wags are welcome

If I'm not in a hurry to get out I like to start the day watching the activity around the pond and the feeders outside the lounge.

After the usual visits from Blue Tits, Blackbirds, Dunnocks and various finches, I was surprised to see a Grey Wagtail drop into the pond.

Grey Wagtails are not unusual visitors in really hard weather, especially when snow is on the ground, but I don't usually see them in the garden, in what really is, fairly mild conditionals.

The male, female and first winter plumages are very similar, and there is some overlap. The supercilium and throat are fairly white and it doesn't seem to have many buff or brown tones, so it might be a male. What ever its sex or age it is a great addition to today's garden birds.

2 comments:

Nichoid said...

In Kingsdown we had a single grey wagtail 3 weeks ago and a pair on the 3rd. Most unusual but they enjoyed our waterfall. Your photo's so much better than mine.

Tony Morris said...

Thanks, my pond's in a good place, when the suns not out, I can take photos with the siding door open, while I remain in my armchair! If the sun is out looking south west is a bad idea.