Sunday 20 March 2016

Gull fest

When I see a flock of gulls following a tractor either ploughing or tilling I always stop for a look at the Gulls. Each time large groups landed before they chased after the wheels I scanned through, and in the end was pleased to find an adult and a 1st year Mediterranean Gull. I managed a photo of the adult, some way off, but failed to find either again after they'd taken off. Time won out and I had to leave them.
Today near West Langdon a large flock of several hundred Black-headed Gulls was finding tit-bits behind a tractor. There is always a good chance that there will be a Mediterranean Gull with them. Meds have got far more common over the past few years, but I still get a buzz find a local one. 

 Each time large groups landed before they chased after the wheels I scanned through, and in the end was pleased to find an adult and a 1st year Mediterranean Gull. I managed a photo of the adult, some way off, but failed to find either again after they'd taken off. Time won out and I had to leave them.

Black-headed Gulls, mainly adults some with their summer heads, which are dark brown, not black. The bird with the middle with brown coverts is a first year Black-headed Gull.

Three adult Black-headed Gulls.

In the middle of this group is a bird with a Black Head.the goes all the way down the back of the neck, and no black in the tips of the wings.

The bird on the left is a Mediterranean Gull, black, not brown, head,and all white wings. The three birds on the right are adult Black-headed Gulls.

No comments: