Thursday 5 January 2017

Somewhere beyond the sea Somewhere waitin' for me.................

 I wandered down to the bay after lunch and spent some time looking at a mainly empty sea.

I did come across three Common Seals some way out and not visible without the aid of a telescope. I bumped into an OLD friend, or rather he covered my telescope to attract my attention. Jack told me that the local fishermen are reporting a lack of fish, and this will account for the lack of auks, Gannets and Divers on my sea watch. I did manage to add a few common species to my year list including Kittiwake, Fulmar, Great Black-backed Gull, Great Crested Grebe and Cormorant.


Even with the sun in my eyes I still enjoyed the view of the Bay from the Lees. 


From up here a big chunk out of the cliffs reveals some quite clean chalk face formed when the was a large fall a couple of years ago. As I looked out to sea a small group of Brent Geese headed north.


As dusk arrived I had another look round for the Barn Owl, but ended up looking along Pond Lane for anything in the field there. Almost immediately I came across a Common Buzzard, and as I watched it a Kestrel was up in the air, hovering behind it. Apart from that and a few Black-headed Gulls there was very little to see until I surprised a Common Snipe from the side of the road as I drove down the hill.

 From the top of pond lane there isa good view back to the village and "The Hidden House" is clearly visible.

 From up here I can see our attic windows It helps me to realise what a good view I get from them back over the fields. The attic list is quite good and includes Osprey, Honey Buzzard and Hobby.

 Just at the bottom of Pond Lane is St Peter's Church and Wallet's Court. The Church yard and gardens is a good place for Little Owl, but no sign tonight.

St Margaret's Church from Pond Lane.

1 comment:

Derek Faulkner said...

What a cracking place to live Tony.
Just need to paint that white end green and it will be properly "hidden".