Tuesday 16 January 2018

Godmersham Church

I had a wander to Godmersham, this afternoon. The specific reason was a hope that it would meet p with one or more of the Hawfinches that have been seen around the church over the last couple of weeks. I won't beat about the bush, I didn't see any. However I was totally unaware of the charm of this small Kentish village. Full of history with connections to Jane Austin and a church that can be traced back to the Domesday Book.

The church is approached through a lychgate.



The tower is Norman, with a small chapel at the base. The rear end of the Chancel has be renovated in the 18th Century and there are two large Buttresses supporting, possibly due to subsidence caused by the proximity to the river.







I think that this is a monument to Jane Austins brother,

Blossom is already out in the Churchyard.

The River Stour flows just below the church.

Snow Drops in the Churchyard.

No comments: