Friday 5 January 2007

The Village Library


The Library is in the Old Village School building. Because it is not used as much as those in charge of our local services would like, it is under threat of closure. I have to confess that I have not been a user in the past. I love books, we have hundreds in the house, some are still in boxes because we haven't enough shelf space, but when I find a book I like, I tend to buy it and not use a library. This wasn't always the case, but I have found fiction less satisfying over the years and non-fiction books are the ones I want to keep. Today I joined the Village Library and I have a new resolution to use it regularly. It is an important resource in the village and we shouldn't let it go easily. I don't know the gentleman at the door, he was there waiting for the opening, with his pile of books and agreed to pose for me. The Library opens on Monday 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Friday 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. which I think is pretty good for a small village. I hope everyone decides to join, it must beat reality TV.

6 comments:

Kris said...

oh, hopefully the village will not loose it. I already like it just by the look of the exterior , seems full of character

Alan S. said...

I've just found out that an ancestor of mine was at the National School in Cliffe in 1851. Can you possibly tell me if this is the same building? Many thanks. Interesting blog!

Tony Morris said...

Hi Alan, do you mean Cliffe, which is near Rochester or St Margaret's at Cliffe (here) near Dover?

Alan S. said...

Sorry, yes, definitely St Margaret's at Cliffe. The 1851 census shows it as 'Cliffe House School'. Looking on old-maps.co.uk it's marked as 'National School' I believe.

Tony Morris said...

Hi Alan, see my Cliffe House post, 27/1/2007

Alan S. said...

Many thanks - see my comment there...