Saturday 17 February 2007

Yellowhammers


When I started writing a piece for the parish magazine about the birds of the area, plus a few other things, the editor, Penny asked me about the decline in Yellowhammers. This beautiful Bunting has been in decline for quite a few years due to habitat loss and possible lack of stubble to feed on in autumn and winter due to agricultural method changes. Last week I saw the most Yellowhammers together that I'd seen fore quite a few years. There was a group of 25-30 at least, along the Drove Way near Bockhill Farm. This is part of the group as they sat up before flying off towards the fields. Hopefully if a few more stay around to breed we will be hearing more of their "a little bit of cheese and no bread" song.

1 comment:

tut-tut said...

Let's hope they stay around to breed. Thank you for showing me yet another bird.