Tuesday 6 March 2007

Corn Bunting

Now we are into March some of our resident birds are claiming their territories for the coming breeding season. One of the birds that has done really badly in the English countryside, probably because of the demise of hedges and change of farming methods is the Corn Bunting. We still can hear one or two singing males during the summer at Bockhill Farm and their jingling song should soon be evident. It is normally described as sounding like a bunch of keys being rattled, and this is a good likeness.

6 comments:

tut-tut said...

I hate to hear about diminshing natural habitat. Rampant building does not equal considered growth.

Tony Morris said...

Hi tut-tut, it's not building as much as change of land use, to large mono-culture fields with no hedges.

isa said...

Never heard of the Corn Bunting - what a funny name. I wish I could hear that sound they make...

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

It's photos like these that made me very hesitant to post my own out-of-focus bird pictures. Beautiful!

Tony Morris said...

Hi Isabella, there an "old world" species. Never occured in the USA. I've looked for a link to its' song but can find one on the net.
Josy, they're easy to photo, this ones from my car, it just sat there singing, not too clever.

Nathalie H.D. said...

Such a perfect profile in action!