Monday 4 June 2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I must admit that I'm a fan of Fungi when it comes to photogenic subjects. I'm not good at identifying them though. I thought that I'd be able to do this one, growing on a stump in the garden, but I'm really not sure what it is. I thought it was Jew's Ear, but is it? The trouble is that Fungi change shape and texture as they mature and if you get a lot of pictures of the same species they often look very different from each other. If there's a mycologist out there who can give me the answer please leave my the name in the comments!

4 comments:

Josy said...

I love fungi! Back when I was starting out, I posted several fungus photos (and still have a few unartistic ones on the back burner, just in case).

Few things are more fascinating than a convoluted fungus.

Carlos Lorenzo said...

I like the shape of those fungi. I don't know the name but I do like how it looks.

Anonymous said...

Your fungus is a jelly fungus called "Jew's ear" or "Wood ear" -- Auricularia auricula.

Tony Morris said...

Thank you, my first thought ws right then!