Friday 28 December 2007

The Garden House Hotel, aka the Cliffe Inn

Almost a year ago I wrote a piece about the renaming of the Cliffe or Clyffe Inn. A reply appeared on that post today and I thought I would share my thoughts about it with everyone.

My anonymous mailer said, and I'll paraphrase the post The business was run down when the new owner took over and it was only through extensive renovations and a general overhaul of the place that the current owners managed to salvage a business in this building. Surely a renamed hotel is better for the village than a defunct one.

First, I think they've done a good job with the renovations and from what I hear it is a worthwhile project which we should applaud. Yes it is good to have a thriving business in the village, far better that a derelict building. If they were the only two options then of course I would go with having a successful business. But it is disingenuous to say that the historic name of Cliffe Inn has to go if the there is to be a new name. The old name could happily be included in any new manifestation.
I wish the new Cliffe Inn every success in the future and I look forward to sampling the food in the near future.

No comments: