Sunday 8 June 2008

National Moth Night

Well at least the weather was reasonable. Cloudy, but not raining and not too cold should have been quite good.
Compared to the rest of the year so far it was better for me, but still far from what a warm June night can bring. At least there was an Elephant Hawk-moth in the one trap. I does look more interesting that a little brown thing, even if they are quite common.

A Pebble Prominent was the first for the year and another with an interesting pattern.

One of the commonest migrants is the Silver Y and in some years there are clouds of then nectaring on the Red Valerian in the evening, even so a solitary one in my 160W MV trap was a first for 2008. The commonest moth for the night was the Heart and Dart, followed by the Common Swift. I've still got a few Identifications to sort out and then I'll send in my list to the organisers.

No comments: