Sunday 6 July 2008

Summertime at the Seaside

I had a quick check of the average number of Macro Moths I've caught per day for the month of June in the last three years. I realise that it's not statistically valid as a comparison as there are too many variables, but it does give a good indication of the trend. In 2006 the average was 121 moths per night (30 nights), in 2007 the average was 93 moths per night (27 nights) and in 2008 just under 70 moths per night (29 nights). This may just be a reflection of the fact that the moths are more difficult to catch in windy conditions, which no doubt prevailed through out June this year.

One moth that I did catch last night was a Pebble Prominent, an attractive member of one of the more striking families.

Today the flag at the "Bluebird" teashop was flapping vigorously in the wind. The average speed this afternoon was 25 mph with gusts up to 44 mph.

The Bay did not look like it normally does on a summer Sunday afternoon. With the temperature only reaching about 14 deg C the family group at the end of the "prom" were well wrapped up.

From the White Cliffs car par the view over the harbour and approaches showed how choppy the sea was. I saw a few Swifts passing through, whether they were failed breeders returning south or birds prepared to fly a long way to feed I don't know. Swifts have been known to fly as far as the Bay of Biscay to feed and collect food for their young. The young have the ability to drop their body temperature so that they use less energy, while the adults are away. In these circumstances they take a longer time to fledge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bluebirds has changed hands I hear... you didn't keep us up-to-date with this very important news oh blogmaster...

Hope the cheesecakes are still up to standard.

Tony Morris said...

Thank you for the information, you have a use after all!

John Young said...

Pebble prominent is a nice moth and not one that I catch that often. I can vouch for swifts in the Bay of Biscay in this sort of weather in June/July, quite amazing to think they fly that far in search of food.

Anonymous said...

I can't help it if your blog is not properly reflecting the latest St Margarets news. I'll be sure to pop by and update you again soon, don't worry.

p.s. I was sitting behind you in the teashop previously, lol.