Monday 13 October 2008

Chalk Pipits

For some reason I've always felt that the undercliff at Kingsdown is the place to find a good rarity. It often has some interesting birds, but so far I haven't got to scarce, lot alone rare.

Today was no exception, there were very few birds except at the far end where a group of at least eight Rock Pipits had taken refuge from the high tide. As usual the regular parade of dog walkers ensured that they didn't settle for long, often flying up and perching on the chalk cliff when disturbed.
During quiet periods they came down to the wet grass area and paraded round an attractive puddle, rather like Water Pipits.

This one was having a probe in the muddy edge, but I didn't see if it managed to extract any food.

Off sure this Cormorant seemed to object to me pointing my camera at it while it dried its wings while resting on a post. It took off and disappeared along the cliffs.

Back at the Paddock at St Margaret's there were at least five Stonechats around there and the Monument. I had hoped at one of these two places a Black Redstart might have arrived but so far I haven't seen one this Autumn.

One each of the last couple of nights I've caught a Mallow, a rather attractive Autumn moth.

No comments: