Tuesday 14 October 2008

Going with the flow.

I had time to kill while my car was being MOT'd today, so I walked down to Kearnsey Abbey.

Most photographers are draw to water, it is a subject with an infinite number of possibilities and the River Dour, that flows through the grounds has many interesting features. This afternoon was quite dark and unlike this morning there was no sun, but I quite like to lack of heavy shadows for taking these autumnal pictures.

I remember reading an article by Heather Angel about photographing moving water and I tried to get one of the effects that she showed. I took two pictures of the water as it goes over the weir, into the fallen leaves. The first was with an exposure of seconds and the second, the fastest I could manage in the light, at 1/50th of a second. I did get some of the misty or foggy effects on some of the water, but the main volume going over the weir is surprisingly clear.

Just down from the weir a Grey Wagtail was feeing in the eddies, but the light was too poor to get anything worthwhile.

The trees are at their most colourful at the moment an this large avenue is still looking very leafy despite the windy weather we've been having this Autumn.

I did hope to find lots of fungi under the trees. I'm sure if I'd looked in the right areas I would have found more, but this was the only clump I found. As usual I'm not sure what it is, but it may well be that same as I found in Captain's Wood, Sulphur Tuft (Hypholoma fsciculare), but a bit more developed. again any advice would be welcome.

Across the road at Bushy Rough I walked along the formal ponds to a small folly. As well as water, doorways and arches draw photographers, so the combination with water and Swans is irresistable, no matter how clichéd the result.

No comments: