Thursday 21 May 2009

Time to fly the nest

An event in the garden this afternoon meant that I haven't posted on the subject I had intended but instead I have put the Great Tit family in the spotlight again.

When I came into the garden at about 4pm I was immediately aware that the Great Tit chicks were being even noisier than usual. An when I got to the area of the next box the calling wasn't coming from inside the box but from a tree about 5 metres along the fence. I could see at least five birds but then them moved into denser cover.
This one seemed to get left behind for a while and sat staring at me as if it wasn't sure what it should do. I think a sharp scold from mum got it moving and it went off with the others.

A short while later they appeared in the hedge at the other end of the garden and I took some pictures before getting on with other things.

Pam called me to say that they were all now gathered together near the garage, and there they were, on top of our "recycling area" (dust-bins covered by an old door), all with mum, who was rushing from one to another, stuffing bits down their beaks in turn. I was surprised that she had enough in her beak, but she did manage to pay at least one visit to each of the six young there.

When mum disappeared over the fence they all turned that way in anticipation of her coming back form the same direction.

She appeared briefly at one side and they all turned round, except one who seems to have nodded off.
When she did arrive back with a beak full of goodies all of them got into begging pose, again except one that was facing the wrong direction.

It took a while, but eventually it woke up to the fact that the more fuss you make the more likely it is that you will get fed, a tactic often seen by kids in a supermarket with their mums.

3 comments:

Birdingben said...

Will gladly swap your GT's for my Starling fledglings,Tony - what a racket!!!

Tony Morris said...

We've got lot's of them too!

Anonymous said...

Excellent series of photos, Tony.

Yep, i`m another one that`s been inundated with fledgling Starlings.