Sunday 16 August 2009

Catching Swords

After dropping my Canon EOS40D body off at Jessops in Canterbury, hopefully for a repair at Canons, I drove up to Westbere. I wanted to try out my old 10D, which had been playing up and caused me to buy the new one in the first place.

Although at times it did come up with the notorious "fault 99" message, it did have periods when it allowed me to takes some photographs. I was struck but the number of Great Crested Grebes at Westbere.

Some were still with young, which although they were as large as the adults where still sporting their stripey pajamas look.
This pair where displaying, but unfortunately finished their ritual dance just as I saw them. A few year ago I did see a pair with young at the beginning of February, in the Lee Valley. I suppose that with the milder winters we've been having Great Crested Grebes would be able to fish all year round and therefore could breed in any month.

There were quite a few Hawkers around, but I only saw Southern Hawker, Aeshna cyanea. There weren't perching for long, as they spent most of their time on the wing in pursuit of their insect prey. Migrant Hawkers (A. mixta) should be around soon . but I'm yet to see one this year.

Dark Sword-grass (Agrotis ipsilon)

Dark Sword-grass is an attractive migrant. I'm doing well for these with so far this year. At this rate they will be more numerous than 2006, when I caught a total of 60, but only 23 by Aug 16th.

Tawny Speckled Pug (Eupithecia icterata)

Some pugs can be difficult but this one is very distinctive. They always arrive in the middle of August and luckily take very little identifying.

Bordered Pug (Eupithecia succenturiata)

I suspect that this is a second generation. There's been a few weeks gap since the first few and this one looks so pristine it has obviously emerged recently.

No comments: