Tuesday, 1 September 2009

A long wait, but worth it.

Yesterday morning, after a quick look round confirmed that there were few migrants around here I went along to Canterbury to see Kent. I anticipated that they would finish Surrey off quite quickly and that I would pop down to Grove Ferry for a couple of hours birding afterwards, but it didn't turn out that way.

Surrey were without Mark Ramprakash, who had broken his thumb earlier in the game, but their remaining batsmen held out well and they had only lost two more wickets by lunch. James Treadwell bowled steadily and took three wickets in the innings.

Justin Kemp used his 6 foot four inches to make the ball lift and did get the critical wicket of Dernbach, while Amjad Kahn tidied up the tail with the new ball, and took another three wickets to add to his five in the first innings. In the end it was after three when Surrey were all out setting Kent 200 to win in 38 overs.

Sam Northeast opened with Captain Rob Key and played a steady innings, giving Key the strike as much as possible, he made a useful 28.

Key made 50 from 55 balls, hit one six and didn't look over pleased when given out LBW, along way down the pitch.
Geraint Jones played a belligerent inning of 45 off 45 balls and was stumped when he danced down the wicket and missed the ball.

van Jaarsveld made a quick 19, with one six, before being given out caught, although the ball seemed only to bounce of his pad.

Darren Stevens played sensibly to see us home. He didn't need to go mad as Kent were well ahead of the run rate.

Kemp had just a cameo, but did hit a big six to bring the winning run in sight.

And this is Stevens running the winning run, giving Kent 22 pts and increase their lead at the top of Div 2.
When I got in, after a day in the sunshine, I fell asleep after eating, and woke up at 2.am. It's a tiring business watching cricket!


Anonymous said...

Hi Great photos' whats the set up you were using? Good to see Kent Birders are cricket lovers too! Robin is a big fan as well.



Tony Morris said...

This was with a Canon 20D and 100-400 zoom. My 40D is back at Canon at the moment as the shutter went kaput.