Tuesday 2 February 2010

Achtung! You will follow the diagram

I really should have known better! I've put something similar together for one of my other grandsons. The big box arrived and we took Sam's somewhat late birthday present over to him, and of course Granddad promised to put it together.

These are well made toys, well they're made in Germany, the home of engineering excellence so they should be good.

As you can see, by the time I'd put it together it was nearly dark, and I had to use flash. Why was it so late you may ask. Am I too stupid to follow the enclosed instructions? Do I just work slowly, or am I just inept with the screwdriver and spanner?

I don't think I'm any of these, I normally manage at a steady pace and get the job done OK by following the instructions step by step. That was the problem. The instructions were dreadful. A few diagrams, but not that easy to interpret and no step by step, easy to follow list of what where and when. Anyway we got the job done, in spite of the lack of directions and the eager help of a three year old. Having got a new tractor, trailer and digger, it was an obvious necessity to help Nanny and Daddy got to the shop and bring back the shopping in the trailer. It did take a bit of time, but with a bit of help we steered it round corners and even had a go at digging up the pavement!

1 comment:

Pat said...

I love the laid back, one hand on the wheel shot. Did you know the best place to hide something from a man is put it in something labelled "instructions"!!!