Saturday 10 April 2010

Three becomes two

A few more moths in the trap this morning, and it included two new species for the year.

Diurnea fagella, is an early spring species, with a wing span of just over 2 cm. The moth above is a male, the females have much smaller wings, the caterpillars feed on a wide variety of trees.


The Powdered Quaker is one of the larger quakers with a 4 cm wing span, in the south Willows are one of the main food plants.

When I got to the monument this morning the group were watching the Serin that had been relocated on the Lees. It was calling it's jingly call frequently and flew to the Paddock and then onto the hedge next to the Droveway.

Once again I failed to get a clear view of it perched and didn't manage a photograph of the bird. Gerald Segelbacher kindly sent me a couple of his very good pictures. Despite the conditions being perfect a few hundred metres inland the cliff top at Bockill and the Lees was extremely foggy with poor light, there are a couple more of Geralds pictures on the Bockhill page of the KOS Website.

Later two Raven flew over Bockhill farm, being mobbed by a Peregrine, which looked like a mosquito in comparison! I had a walk round the Paddock later this afternoon and relocated the Serin, which flew to Mc Swiggans, again managing to avoid my camera lens! A pair of Mistle Thrushes were collecting food, presumably they're feeding young.

I only noticed the other day that the three radio masts (the Three Sisters) had become two. I've been told that the news was in the Kent papers, but some how I managed not to know about it. I'm surprised that something of historical significance has been demolished, especially when you think of some of the monstrosities that are preserved as listed buildings. I gather that the demolition too place on March 24th. There is a good photo here and a lot of comments about the demolition.

No comments: