Tuesday 3 August 2010

Cornmill Meadows Dragonfly Sanctuary

We had an afternoon out with Simon and Sam and went up to the Lee Valley Regional Park.

The Cornmill Stream

The Cornmill Meadows Dragonfly Sanctuary is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and with a species list of 23 Dragon and Damselflies is the best site in Greater London for seeing these beautiful insects. Unfortunately the sun was rather hidden behind the clouds for much of our visit, but we still saw a few species and had an enjoyable walk.


The Cornmill Streams runs across the site and is the favoured habitat of Banded Demoiselles. I only saw males, the females are are a metallic green and do not have the striking band.

I noticed several groups of Mother of Pearl Moths. Although I catch them in small numbers quite frequently this is the first time that I have seen them in colonies flying in the day time.

The day was great, but not the journey home! The Blackwall Tunnel was closed and I made a complete mess of it when I turned off the approach road and managed to end up almost back to Simon's, by getting to Whipps Cross. We finally got to the Dartford Crossing and arrived hope at 12.30 p.m., hence no blogging yesterday and a late start to my moth traps this morning.

No comments: