Saturday 4 September 2010

Tomorrow is another day

Today we went over to Walthamstow, to bring Sam over for a couple of days stay. As we left the northern end of Blackwall Tunnel my phone rang and Pam answered it. Jack was calling to tell me they'd just found a Wryneck in the Freedown.

I'd walked round the Freedown every day this week so it was a bit galling to know that on the day I didn't, a Wryneck had put in an appearance.

When we got back it was still not quite dusk and in the hope that the Wryneck had a late ant snack attack I decided to have a quick whizz round.
Needless to say I didn't see it, or for that matter any other bird out feeding. I did hear one of it's relatives, a Green Woodpecker, calling loudly from Farm Wood and a couple of Meadow Pipits flew over calling. A Chiffchaff had a half-hearted attempt at a song and a Robin gave a melancholy greeting as I walked by, but that was it.

As the sun sank lower in the Sky I decided that it wasn't going to happen today, and I hope that it will still be around tomorrow.

I walked past Bockhill Cottage and it was the first time in the ten years that I've been in the village that someone was in residence. I think it's great that an historic building is back in use and hope that it makes a good home for the new owners.

No comments: