Monday 7 March 2011

A Slothful Day

I've been a bit Slothful today, and not moved very far. This Southern Two-toed Sloth certainly wasn't in a hurry. I didn't know before that Two-toed Sloths have two toes on their front feet and three on their back feet. This is also known as Linnaeus's Sloth. It's main enemies are humans and yesterday's guest, Harpy Eagles as well as cats such as the Ocelot. Man's affect on it's population is largely due to deforestation and it is becoming a rare species in the wild.
At the other end of the energy scale are the perpetual motion Hummingbirds, this is a Crimson Topaz, that has unfortunately lost one of it's tail streamers, but it still is an impressive bird. At least after I got my washing done today it is no longer humming!

1 comment:

Alan Pavey said...

Sounds like an awesome trip Tony, 550 species mind blowing, I'm struggling to get my head round the 250 in 8 days in Africa!!