Friday 30 September 2011

The Autumn Collection

Another warm day with a bright blue sky and potential for sun burn! I walked through Kearsney Abbey grounds and followed the River Dour through Bushy Ruff.

At the end of Bushy Ruff, just before the river goes under the road I sat and watched the water trickle past for a while. The area looks perfect for a Kingfisher and it wasn't long before a flash of orange and blue proved me right. Although I saw one several times, never did it sit in the open and pose for pictures. It may be worth looking again and trying to work out if it has a favourite perch that can be watch from cover.

This time of year brings a collection of moths that really fit the "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. In the third verse of his "Ode to Autumn" Keats does mention Sallows, but of course he is referring to trees, not moths. But the Autumn does bring sallows to the moth trap and somehow their basic yellow patterns reflect the season perfectly.

Centre-barred Sallow

Barred Sallow

Orange Sallow

Dusky-lemon Sallow

Some of the other moths that I'm trapping at the moment are similar in their style.

Lunar Underwing

Beaded Chestnut

Autumnal Rustic

Best of all, for me today, was a Flounced Chestnut, the first I've caught here. Chestnuts are another group of moths that are mainly seem in the Autumn.

Flounced Chestnut.

1 comment:

Derek Faulkner said...

Tony, I loved the blog, it had a real autumnal feel about it, the place by the river looked really nice.