Tuesday 1 January 2013

A Happy New Year for 2013

A quiet evening, last night, which meant that I missed the early morning singing Robin, that was my first bird of the year on several occasions on my way home after a new years party. They sing where there are street lights even when it's dark!

The garden was alive with birds, mainly Chaffinches and Greenfinches, with good numbers of Blackbirds as well. I read that a flock of Waxwings appeared at Tescos at Whitfield this afternoon, but none here unfortunately. Out side my study window I watched a couple of Great Spotted Woodpeckers feeding on peanuts, with several visits each. Five or six Blue-tits were also active in front of the window.


Outside the Kitchen window I've put two feeders on the pyracantha bush. The berries have gone, thanks to the Blackbird population in the garden but the feeders are a success.

It's quite pleasant to watch our resident male Blackcap feeding just a foot in front of the window. So far I haven't managed to photo him from outside, so the picture is through the window with the sun reflecting at the same time. The Backcap is having to share the fat balls with Dunnocks, Robin, Blackbirds and Blue Tits, but seems to manage to get its share.

No comments: