Friday 10 January 2014

Golden Invasion

I've had this book on the shelf for dozen or so years,but so far I haven't been able to use it in the field.It is mainly an altlas, but what first drew me to it was Martin Woodcocks few plates at the beginning.

 

I was saddened to learn last night  that John Ash died on Monday, and his wife died just three days earlier. Both of them were living in care homes.I guess that I'll treasure this book just a little more now, now that the man that conributed so much to the knowledge of the birds of Somalia is no longer with us.Whether or not I ever make it to Somalia is another thing.

Today the peaceful conditions allowed the garden birds to feed comparatively unhindered, with no rain and only a gentle breeze.
It was a continuation of the golden invasion that started a few days ago, the trees were alive with the calls of Goldfinches and my feeders were emptying at a rate that would raise even Harry Rednap's eyebrows.

They found one perch already taken by a Chaffinch on this feeder.

a Gowd Spink in Yorkshire

Also known as a Jack Nicker

or, appropriately, a Thistle Finch

Always waiting to pick up the spilt seed, and judging by their plumpness pretty successful. there are quite a few Wood Pigeons around.

Some of the male Chaffinches are getting their summer tones coming through, Spring must be on the way!


Why is it that chimney pots always look the right place to see Starlings?

Blue Tits are already investigating the houing situation in the garden. Perhaps this year a pair will choose one of the two boxes I've got with cameras set up.

Still lots of Blackbirds around, although this one has a definite brown tinge the beak and eye ring are very yellow. I wondewr is this a first year male?

While the Finches remain on the feeders to eat the seeds the tits normally take the seed off to a branch and hammer it away from the feeders and then quickly dive in for the next seed.

Pigeons are the only family of birds (that I know) that can drink like this. Like up they can suck the liquid down. Other species have to get a beakful and the put their heads up to swallow.

ALthough the Starlings seem to spurn the sunflower seeds they are more than happy to go onto feeders with either peanuts or fat balls.

1 comment:

Derek Faulkner said...

How I envy your finch population, it must be truly wonderful to have such a sight in the garden. My sunflower heart feeders empty at the same rate but only to Spuggies.