Tuesday 11 March 2014

Flowers and buzzy things.

The last two days have been exceptionally warm and sunny and with the mild, albeit wet winter Spring is getting well under way.

Lesser Celendine (Ranunculus ficaria) at Captain's Wood

I had an enjoyable walk around Captain's Wood, near Whitfield, and although it was very quiet there were patches of colour produced by a few flowering plants,  Lesser Celendine being the most striking. (as I am a lousy botanist please correct any misidentification).

According to the literature the individual flower have between 9 and 12 petals. It has always surprised me that the flower of one species can be so variable. 

Wood Anemone (Anemone memorosa)

As I have said, I'm not a botanist, and I'm not good at flower anatomy, but I was surprised to read that this flower has 6 or 7 Sepals. They look like petals to me, but evidently not.

Wood Spurge (Euphorbia amygdaloides)

The Wood Spurge is the earliest flowering of our wild Euphorbias, and is distinguished by flowers growing from the leaf umbels at the top of the stem

To early for the Blue-bells but they seem to be making lots of greenery in preparation for the spring blooms.
Primrose (Primula vulgaris)

There were a lot of patches of Primroses in flower.This hardy plant will produce flowers from the beginning of the year through to May.

There were also Primroses out along the Lees at St Margaret's and several species of insect were attracted to the plants. I'm not sure what species this fly is?

Another prominent insect was this "bee". It was very mobile and did quite a bit of hovering, but I don't think it is a hoverfly.
The hairy legs and time of flying point me towards The Hairy-Footed Flower Bee (Anthophora plumipes), but I'm not at all sure.

No comments: