Tuesday 9 February 2016

Blackcap visit.

Another ODI against South Africa (a disappointing result), a dark morning and recently cleaned windows meant that I split my attention from the TV to the computer, where I continued with my Paraguay photos and then to the outside where birds were feeding.

Photographing through double glazing doesn't allow great pictures to be produced but they are recognisable. This Wren, I assume it is the same one, has been a regular for a while, cleaning up under the feeders where Goldfinches regularly provide bits of sunflower seeds.

Chaffinches do use the feeders but seem more at home on the ground feeding in what is a more natural way.

Normally the Wren is difficult to follow as is slips between the flower pots and under the overhanging vegetation.Today I was lucky.

Wrens are definitely cute, but no matter how hard I try it is impossible not to think of their tails a somewhat of an evolutionary failure, they really do look rather silly.

Yesterday while I was watching I caught a glimpse of a male Blackcap, but it vanished quickly and wasn't seen again.

Today it reappeared and a one time was joined by a second male.They are easy to spook and the slightest movement inside to room is enough for them to fly off.

Blackcaps are quite a common summer visitor and there is normally a pair around the garden, the males beautiful song being a welcome addition to the dawn chorus.

We are getting an increasing number wintering in the south, and ringing recoveries show that many of these are birds from Germany. Our breeding birds probably go south to the Mediterranean in winter, as do many sensible people. In most winters I have one or two regularly feeding here, but this year these are the first I've seen since Autumn. This could be because it has been so mild that any wintering birds have not need to resort to the garden feeding station.

No comments: