Monday 3 December 2007

Evening Stroll

A short stroll round Bockhill this afternoon ( it was on 2.45pm when I started but it was already getting dark) gave some great views when the low sun came out. I added one bird to my list of "birds that perch on straw bales" a Yellowhammer, but it didn't stay long enough to get on the list of birds photographed on straw bales. There were very few birds in the field, just a couple of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits went up as I walked across. In one are a good number of Wood Pigeons were feeding but this seems to be one of the few doing well.


The view back past the hedge remnant nicknamed "Midway" or "Orchid Bottom" to the "Empty Wood" positively glowed in the evening light, but the only activity I saw was about 20 Black-headed gull quartering the fields. I guess they were looking for worms after the heavy rain.

In Farm Wood I encountered a flock of about 15 Long-tailed Tits, with a few Blue-tits and a couple of Goldfinches for company. A Wren chastised me when I "pished" in the hope of getting the flock to come closer and a couple of Blackbirds and a Song Thrush were also making their presence known.

These bales of straw almost looked as if the had light bulbs inside as they reflected the evening glow.

Back at the monument I couldn't resist one final shot of the evening sky to the west. This is almost the same area as I took yesterday evening, albeit from a different elevation.

No comments: