Friday 10 October 2008

Todays Special

Merveille du Jour (Dichonia aprilina)

The wonderfully named, meaning Wonder of the day, Merveille du Jour appeared on the wall above my trap, the day before yesterday. It is the first one I've caught since October 2006. I had a series of four records then, between the 10th and 24th, all different moths, told by the slightly different patterns. Until today these were the only ones I've caught. As the larvae feed on Oak buds I'm not sure how far this one has come, as there are no Oaks in the garden.

Yellow-line Quaker (Agrochola macilenta)

Some of the Autumn moths are quite plain and cause me some confusion. The Yellow-line Quaker can be very similar to the Red-line Quaker, especially when worn. The one in the trap today was the first of the year and after a gap last year means that I've caught this moth in five of the six years I've trapped throughout the year here. Last year I was away in Australia for much of October and November so I missed many of the autumn specials.

The Brick (Agrochola circellaris)
There are a few orange-coloured moths that emerge in the Autumn and they always give me trouble in identifying them. I think that this is a "Brick" but would welcome any opinions if I've got it wrong!

Red-green Carpet (Chloroclysta siterata)

It's not only the group of Autumn Noctuids that appear at this time of year. The Red-green Carpet is normally around in October but appears again in the spring after hibernating. As usual I had to study this along time before deciding the ID. The don't really look Red-green to me, but I'm not the best judge!

2 comments:

John Young said...

Hi Tony, Merville De Jour, what a cracking moth. I'd certainly like to see one of those in my trap.

Steve Gale said...

I posted a picture of Red-green Carpet on my blog today and commented how difficult it is to capture the subtlety of its colouring. Looks like you managed to capture it a treat Tony.