Thursday 17 June 2010

Like a Virgin

Blackbirds, in fact all "black birds" often seem to have some white feathers. This rather striking Blackbird is nesting somewhere in the area of the garden.

I often hear birds like this described as partially albino, but as far as I know being albino is rather like being a virgin, you either are or you aren't! Birds like this are more properly described as partially leucistic.

There are several Blackbirds working very hard collecting food at the moment. I imagine that they are now on their second broods, I hope that this cold northerly weather wont hinder them finding food. I've managed to contract a dose of tonsillitis at the moment, uncomfortable and very unseasonable, so I haven't been out for the last couple of days. I'm hoping that the medicine I've been taking tonight, (whisky, ginger wine and honey) will cure it .

1 comment:

Birdingben said...

Make sure you don't overpower the medicinal effect of the whisky,Tony!!!!!!