Monday 10 October 2016

There's ants in the Lawn.

I have many faults, and one of them is hoarding rubbish. Sometimes it pays off. This old wall television "table" looked like it might have some use, and for about three years it has made a useful bird table, fixed to a large tree. It doesn't get used a lot, but I did notice, a year or so ago, that visiting Bramblings preferred to feed on it than on the ground. I put some seed on it and of course a Chaffinch tried it first. In the end I had four Bramblings feeding there.








It wasn't long before some of the flock Goldfinches found the seeds on the TV bird table, The flock is well over 100 now and as well as being very noisy they also get through a lot of seed.




I think this female Green Woodpecker must have found a good ants nest as it had it's head down most of the time I was watching it (about five minutes). As usual something, probably one of the clumsy Wood Pigeons landing with a thump, disturbed it and it flew to one of the trees.








No comments: