Sunday 21 January 2018

American Relations

Another grim day, but not entirely without bird interest for me. Pam and I visited the "Dogs Trust Canterbury", which is nearly up to Whitstable, to meet a small friend. While we took her for a walk in the grounds I was delighted to here a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling. I didn't have my bins on but we will be returning and I'll have another look. While I was looking through what was being I was pleased to see that there is still a Waxwing in East Kent. Waxwings are in a small family of three species. The Bohemian Waxwing, which occurs in Europe, North America and Asia.The Cedar Waxwing, from N America and the Japanese Waxwing from E.Asia. A closely related family is the "Silky Flycatchers" from North and Central America. The last of the close related families has just one member, the enigmatic Grey Hypocolius from the Middle East. I'm not going to pick out a favourite, but the long-tailed Silky-flycatcher is stunning. The female with the fruit.




Below is a Bohemian Waxwing, from Folkestone, a few years ago.



No comments: